Translate

Search This Blog

Survivors of the carnage in Paris: What they saw, what they felt, and what they carry (From CNN)

It has been a week, yes? since the Terrorist attacks on Paris. It is still everywhere on the news. Different things handled in different was, from hunting down the responsible to refusing refugees to dealing with the loss to living through it again and again for the survivors.

I was on the CNN website, scrolling through the world report, saw reported news on Paris, and came across this title: Survivors of the carnage in Paris: What they saw, what they felt, and what the carry. I clicked on the link and started reading the stories of the survivors. The top stories are of survivors from the concert. There are so many stories that I have not taken the time to read them all. As I read their stories, I can only imagine how hard it is for them to find words to describe what they went through.

Of course, WHY? is always a question asked. And earlier this week, one of my friends posted a link to a Bible publication that was talking about Why Good Things Happen To Bad People? And really, WHY? is always a question asked. So I found the link for you.



The opening paragraph was so special to me:

God does not cause bad things to happen. Does he, though, incite others to commit vile deeds? Not at all. “When under trial,” state the Scriptures, “let no one say: ‘I am being tried by God.’” Why? Because “with evil things God cannot be tried, nor does he himself try anyone.” James 1:13 God does not try, or test, anyone by inciting him to behave badly. God neither causes bad things to happen nor incites others to do what is bad. Who or what, then, is to blame when bad things happen?

The reason this paragraph is special to me is because of the mentioned scripture in the book of James. When I was growing up, my dad used to talk about a God of Love, yet, my sister and I were threatened with Hell Fire punishment if we continued to do bad things. I started to reason within my self, 'How can God be a god of love yet punish bad people forever in Hell?' So at around the age of 16, I turned my back on God. I didn't want to have any part of a God like that! It wasn't until 2006 that I started to Really Learn about God using the Book, What Does the Bible Really Teach? In Chapter 1 paragraph 7, under the subheading IS GOD UNCARING AND HARDHEARTED? I came across that scripture in the book of James, and I said to myself, 'There's the God that I've been looking for.' And just like that, I knew there was a God of Love. (Only one other time did I say to myself, 'There's the God I've been looking for,' and that was when I read the Book of Jonah, but that subject can be tabled for a later discussion.)

No comments: