Translate

Search This Blog

Nothing finalizes death like an Absolute Auction

I didn't really want to leave the house this morning. I woke up feeling that familiar pain in my lower back. But Papa insisted yet again that I take my anti inflammatory pill. And after a fried tater breakfast, I was all ready to get all glued to the couch and papa get some much need work done around the house, when, he remembered the Absolute Auction at a place that we have been caretakers, grounds keepers, maintenance dudes, and so forth, ever since the owner died a year ago. OOOPPPSSS

So over we went, to the Absolute Auction. Quite the crowd. We park. Walk up the hill, see all the house belongs out in the yard. Big furniture underneath the canape. Bedroom suites on the parking pad in front of the 4 car garage, 3 rows of smaller house hold items running down the hill of the front yard, the side yard full of boxes of books, the back yard full of items from the basement, people every where. When I looked up at the 3 floor window of the Queens Bedroom, that's what I called the 3 story octagon shaped add on, there are children in the window seat, faces and hands pressed up against the glass. 

When I went inside the house of the main floor, it was all gone. This house was once filled with a family, then just one person, then none. Now the furnishings are outside, the house is empty except for the dust bunnies left behind, and it was just all to much. I tried to converse with the Trustee of the Estate, but I was so emotional. I teared up and excused myself to retreat to the out of doors.

Then, as I mossied through the items, I hear the conversation of the groups of participants, and there is such a coldness to the conversations. These items were once what helped to build a home, now, it's just stuff about to go those wanted the best bang for their buck.

Papa and I spent a year watching over the house, the estate, the animals, and I was quite attached to everything, even territorial, now, about to become someone else's. Yeah, kinda hard to be there.

Then once the Auction started and people started to stake their claim, and stuff was going for like way cheap, and people were loading up their new prizes, it hit me that the death was final. Weird huh? Considering we helped dig the grave up on the hill. 

No comments: