Translate

Search This Blog

Is God's name important? 3 Basic principles to an Accurate Translation among thousands

Welcome back, my beautiful readers. It is turning out to be a beautiful spring day. Yeah!!!

photo from Google search
I want to take just a moment to thank you, my beautiful readers, for the wonderful questions that you ask me. They are questions that show forethought, and as always, I love looking into the scriptures to help get the answers. Today's questions is no exception. It is a very good question: Since Greek lang. is same as when NWT was 1st written why did JW,org insert Jehovah in its newest NWT where 1st NWT didn't? This is such an excellent question! I did a little research, and here is the answer. (NWT = New World Translation)

The following informations was taken from:

A Living Translation of God’s Word

  • It answers the following questions:
  • Why should God’s name be in a translation of the Bible?
Why was the New World Translation revised?
How have many benefited from the New World Translation?

photo from Google search
As I like to put it: It all started, well, at the beginning. It all starts with Genesis 1:1, and I mean it ALL starts there. Yep, in the beginning God created... then, he did something wonderful for us that sets us apart from all other creation, he gave us humans the gift of language, communication. Another gift of communication that is available to us today is his word, The Bible.

Now, I don't know the exact number of Bible translations out there, but I do know that there are thousands! And since I don't speak Hebrew or Aramaic or Greek, thank goodness someone took the time to translate! With thousands of translations out there, it does stand to reason that some will be more accurate than others. Here's what I like:

...To translate the Bible accurately, the New World Bible Translation Committee decided to follow three basic principles: (1) Honor God’s name and use it in his Word as many times as the original(Read Matthew 6:9.) (2) Translate the original message word for word where possible. Where not possible, translate the correct meaning. (3) Use language that is easy to read and understand.* (See footnote.) (Read Nehemiah 8:8, 12.) These three principles have been followed by translators of the New World Translation in more than 130 different languages. In this article, we will learn how these principles apply to the 2013 revision of the New World Translation and to its translation into other languages as well.

photo from Google search
Under the subheading: A BIBLE THAT HONORS GOD'S NAME, it answers several questions, including: Where do we find the Tetragrammaton? What have many Bible translations done with God’s nameWhy is it important to use God’s name in the Bible? And of course, the question that is the subject of today's discussion, Why was God’s name added in six places in the revised New World Translation?

photo from Wikipedia



Now, I am hoping that everyone reading this has heard of the 'Dead Sea Scrolls?'
The following informations is taken from:

Dead Sea Scrolls

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
...The texts are of great historical, religious, and linguistic significance because they include the third oldest known surviving manuscripts of works later included in the Hebrew Bible canon, along with deuterocanonical and extra-biblical manuscripts which preserve evidence of the diversity of religious thought in late Second Temple Judaism

The reason I bring this up, the Dead Sea Scrolls, is because of what it says in paragraph 6 of the article -

A Living Translation of God’s Word


...Today, there is even more proof that we should use Jehovah’s name. The 2013 revision of the New World Translation uses God’s name 7,216 times. That is six more than the previous edition. Five of these were added because God’s name was found in the recently published Dead Sea Scrolls.* (See footnote.) These five are found at 1 Samuel 2:25; 6:3; 10:26; 23:14, 16. The sixth, at Judges 19:18, was added as a result of further study of reliable old Bible manuscripts.

Having said all of that, I personally am very thankful for a Bible translation that I can easily understand. Was I always a NWTer? Nope... my first Bible that I bought for myself with my very own money, was the red lettered edition of the King James Version. I loved that Bible. It even had a section on the front that listed all the Women of the Bible and a description of them. I just thought that was like way kool...  but, alas, I couldn't really understand it, so I didn't try to read it much. That is why I am so thankful for the NWT... I can understand it! Yeah!

photo from Google search
Now, I don't know about you, but I want an ACCURATE translation of the Bible. I take the words inside the Bible very seriously, and I am doing my best, though I am not perfect, to follow the instructions within it's pages. I feel that it's a lifesaving thing to do, and since I am staking my life on it, yeah, I want it to be accurate, and understandable, because as I have been know to describe myself, "I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed." I... J... S...

It is my hope to have answered this question: Since Greek lang. is same as when NWT was 1st written why did JW,org insert Jehovah in its newest NWT where 1st NWT didn't? in an way that was easily understood.



Want to read an accurate Bible too?

Online Bible

NEW WORLD TRANSLATION OF THE HOLY SCRIPTURES (2013 REVISION)


Now it's your turn. What is your favorite translation?
Don't forget to share. :-) Thanks...
photo from Google search


Like this information? 
photo from Google search

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The Dead Sea Scrolls were written before Jesus was on Earth. So, why does the newest NWT have Jesus saying Jehovah? What son calls his father by his name when talking to him? Jesus called our heavenly father, father.

Also, when Jesus was in earth, the letter J wasn't used. You are aware who invented the name Jehovah aren't you? It wasn't JW,org.

just4deb said...

William, thank for your comment.

I like your question: What son calls his father by his name when talking to him? I am gunna to a tad bit more research on your question before answering it. Thanks for asking.

Also, you asked me if I was aware who invented the name Jehovah. If I may ask, what is your answer? I am curious about your thoughts? I eagerly await your reply. :-)

Unknown said...

What son calls his father by his first name was rhetorical in my point about Jesus was recorded to call Him my Father or our Father.

Also, as to the the term "Jehovah", it was the invention of a Catholic monk (Raymundus Martini) in A.D. 1202.