Translate

Search This Blog

Prepare Your Heart NOW - "No Blood Transfusions" - My story

Welcome once again, my beautiful readers...

photo from Google search
For quite some time, I have been tossing around the idea of sharing my personal story of my trip to the hospital a few months ago. For many, this trip is life altering, life changing, and for me, there was no exception. This event was life altering and changing. It has made my FAITH stronger, and it makes me love my God, Jehovah, all the more.

Bloodless Medicine
What prompted this was my mom's recent visit to the hospital where in a 'different blood related' issue, I had a chance to and so took advantage of the opportunity to share my story with her and the Nurse drawing mom's blood for testing as he recognized from my conversation about blood with my mom that I was one of Jehovah's Witnesses, (which btw, just made me smile, and proud, and I told him as much, I said "I'm smiling because you know",) and a recent, (like this morning recent) read of an article on Bloodless Medicine: How A Religion Changed Traditional Medical Practice . One of my FB friends, who is also one of Jehovah's Witnesses, shared the article on her news feed. I read it. It reminded me of my recent experience with the 'Blood' issue, and I thought "Yeah, it's time to tell my story." After all, y'all have been with me through so much, and have allowed me to share so much with you, that I wanted to be of further encouragement for you, (plus it encourages me) so here I go.

A little background, if you will. Even before I learned 'Why' Jehovah's Witnesses don't accept blood transfusions, I had, from time to time growing up, heard periodic news stories about the 'NO BLOOD' issue, and of course, to make it more dramatic, it always involved a child and the parents' stand on the 'NO BLOOD' issue. As a young person, I had formed my own 'opinion' on the issue, an opinion that did not factor in what the Bible had to say about the issue, and of course, the news reports mentioned nothing about what is stated it the Bible. (Drama sells. (I...J...S...)) As I grew older, though, I developed my own personal thinking, and I'm like "I don't want someone else's nasty blood inside of me." Then, when I started to study the Bible with the Witnesses, I learned from the Bible the importance of abstaining from Blood. The following information is taken from the article:

Why don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses accept blood transfusions?

This is a religious issue rather than a medical one. Both the Old and New Testaments clearly command us to abstain from blood. (Genesis 9:4; Leviticus 17:10; Deuteronomy 12:23; Acts 15:28, 29) Also, God views blood as representing life. (Leviticus 17:14) So we avoid taking blood not only in obedience to God but also out of respect for him as the Giver of life.
Photo from Google search
So, I had taken a 'NO BLOOD' stand long before I learn why Jehovah's people, his witnesses, didn't except blood, and when I learned from the Bible 'why not' it made me feel even better about my decision. But you have to be prepared in your heart. What I mean by that is, you have to know in your heart, before an medical emergency, (such as the one concerning myself that I am about to share with you,) that this decision of 'NO BLOOD' is to be upheld, even if you are incapacitated, and can not speak for yourself. Therefore, all of Jehovah's people are encouraged to fill out, and make sure it is current, a medical DPA, stating in writing your 'NO BLOOD' wishes concerning your own body. Because, you don't want to be in the hospital, your life in the balance, your integrity to Jehovah on the line, medical personal pressuring you to take blood or you will die, and not have had made that decision, that stand, to uphold the rules laid out for us in the above mentioned scriptures.






Photo from Google search
My driveway alarm goes off, beep beep beep beep. I look out the living room window, and there is a Sheriff's car stopped at the gate. I cover my bare skin and out the front door I go, walking across the yard, where the Deputy is standing by the fence. Now, all the time I'm walking towards him, I'm thinking this has something to do with one of my children, because sadly, they are not strangers to the law.
"Are you Deborah Clark?"
"Yes I am." Totally out of breath from that walk across the yard, so much that I could barely hush the barking kids.
"Your doctor can't reach you, and they want you at the hospital now."
Imagine my surprise! Not about my kids!

Photo from Google search
Now, don't get me wrong, I knew that my doctor was trying to get ahold of me as papa text me earlier that day to inform me that my doctor was trying to get ahold of me. I was trying to figure out why they had called him and not me. Well, turns out, my FORMER cell phone service, having terrible signal where we live, hadn't allowed the call from the doctor to reach my phone, but they had left a message. When I checked the message, I heard the standard 'call us back' message, and as I had to go to town the next day, I thought I would wait till I had better signal, cuz out at our house, my phone would drop calls more than pick them up, and that is like way to frustrating for me.

So I'm looking at the Sheriff, wondering WHY my doctor sent him. He knows nothing, all they told him was to go find me, and find me he did. So I'm thinking, shut the oven off, pack clothes, grab my electronic devices.

"Can you drive yourself?" he asks.
"Yes," but wait... I'm thinking, 'if my health is bad enough that my doctors wants me at the hospital bad enough to send the Sheriff, maybe I shouldn't drive. What if something happens to me and I cause an accident and kill someone? I didn't want to be bloodguilty.' The deputy must have seen my pause because he next asked,
"I can take you there if you want."
"Yes? Let me change my clothes and grab a few things."
"How long will that take?"
"Give me 5 minutes."

So I give him the combo to open the gate and he drives in and parks by the carport. Into the house I go to get ready for the trip to the Hospital. Because I don't know what is going on, I don't know how to pack for the hospital, so I grab the most important thing in my life, my cell phone. Yer laughing, but really, it is quite important to me, for multiple reasons, but that is a subject that can be tabled for a later discussion.

I stuff myself into the back seat of the Sheriff's car. He had opened the passenger side, but I looked at him and said, "Um, I have this 'thing,' may I sit on the other side?" (Behind the driver.) So he closes that door and opens the other for me. And let me tell you, for those of you who have never ridden in the back of a cruiser, 'THERE AIN'T A LOT OF ROOM.' Not built, I think, for comfort. I can barely put my feet on the floor.

Gotta call papa and tell him what is going on. I briefly got ahold of him on my way out the door, but like I said earlier, by phone service allows for more dropped calls that call completions. He already knows that the Sheriff is taking me to the hospital. When I get him on the phone again, he knows I am in transit.

Of course you know I had to document this.
Next I call my son, explain to him what is going on, and to ask him when he gets a moment if he can turn my oven back on and finish my dinner.

Had to ride in the back seat.
Not a lot of room. Not very comfy. Not a lot of air.
The closer we got, the worse i got, 
the faster he went. I think I scared him to death.
Now, as the trip (30 minutes normal travel time) progresses, I am having more trouble breathing. It is hot and stuffy in the back, and although the car's AC is running, I am not getting enough to help my breathing. I finally ask the officer if he can roll down the windows cuz I am having trouble breathing. He does, it helps, but not much. I also think I was freaking him out, because the closer we got to town, the faster he was going. At one point, he kicks the siren on. We flew into town. He pulls into the Hospital Ambulance area, and I see papa waiting on me.

Papa pulls me up out of the car, but I have to lean up against it because I can barely breath. Once I catch my breath, I thank the officer and head on in. (I didn't even get his name.) We walk through the ER and out to admitting.
Getting my vitals. "What brings you in?" They ask. 
My reply, "The Sheriff." 
(Cuz at this point, neither the sheriff nor I know why 
my doctor's office sent him to retrieve me 
from the comfort of my home and a meal half baked in the oven.) 
— with Papa at Hardin Memorial Health. 

"What brings you in today?" They ask.
"The Sheriff," I reply, because at that point, I still don't know why I am here, and judging from the lack of urgency of the people in the ER, they don't know why I am supposed to be there either. Come to find out, they didn't even know I was on my way. Apparently, the sheriff is the only one who knew my doctor wanted me at the hospital.

When they finally find a spot for me inside the ER, "What's wrong?" They ask.
"I don't know."
"Well why are you here?"
"Because the sheriff brought me."
Puzzled looks. Yep, no one has any idea why I am there. And I can understand their dilemma, how to help a person when ya don't know what is wrong. And I explained how it came to be that the Sheriff was in my driveway. Then I share that just the day before, the doctor drew my blood for testing. So the ER people draw my blood for testing.

Waiting. Hungry. Waiting. Hungry. Waiting.
Waiting in the...anybody? Yep, the waiting room.
Do I look like I'm knocking on death's door?
 

— at Hardin Memorial Health.

Photo from Google search
When the blood tests come back, a tech walks in the room, says something about my Hemoglobin being down below 5, 12-14 in normal, and is going to get me ready for a blood transfusion. WHAT? They didn't even ask me if I want one, and they acted like they had not read my DPA which states in in 'NO BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS.' All of this is going through my mind, but papa was my voice, "She don't take blood," and the rest of the conversation to me was "Blah... Blah... Blah..." because I was texting my dear friend and Elder of our congregation letting him know that I am in the hospital and they are hollering 'Blood Transfusions.'

My memory is a little fuzzy about this next part, but at some point, an Asian Grilled Chicken Salad from McDonalds, the Elder I texted, and my son and his wife, end up in my ER room. I've been asked not to eat till it is determined what is wrong with me. (I can respect that, but I do drink the McD's large unsweetened Tea. Man I wish I could remember who brought that for me! Oh well.)

It is good to see all the support, but I was a bit overwhelmed with it. At any rate, in walks the ER doctor! He had learned that I won't take blood. There is a bit of a conversation in which the Doctor is pointing out that I 'need' this transfusion. 
Again, papa is my voice, "Well what's plan B, because she don't take blood?"
"Well then, she's gunna die," 'doc' says, and turns and walks out.
All of us are in the room, looking at one another like, "OK?!?!?!"
'Doc' gets to the curtain of my room, turns and asks, "Will you at least let us admit you to try to find out what is wrong?"

Photo from Google search
'but, I thought I was gunna die?' FIRST THING I THOUGH, NOT THE FIRST THING I SAID!
"Yes, 'we' all say.
And the same tech lady that had drawn my blood and was the first to learn that I wouldn't take blood, very kindly smiles at me, puts her hand on my shoulder in a very kind way and says, "I really wish you would take the blood."
I look at her, smile, and say, while nodding my head, "I know."

Admitted. Test. Test. Test. In the meantime, IV of Iron. Test. Test. Test. Actually, I'm not sure how many tests. A few days later, home I go, to return next day for one final test. Which, after all those tests, they still did not find out why my Hemoglobin was so low.

The following is taken from:




"In fact, the American Medical Association listed blood transfusion as among the most overused therapies in medicine."

Oh, By the Way, did I mention that I survived! In case ya didn't know, I'm still alive!

After being home for just a short while, I wanted to share my feeling about the whole Hospital ordeal on my Facebook home page. I related and shared a story from the book of Daniel.

 Now among them were some from the tribe* of Judah: Daniel,*+ Han·a·niʹah,* Mishʹa·el,* and Az·a·riʹah.*+  And the principal court official assigned names* to them; he gave to Daniel the name Bel·te·shazʹzar,+ to Han·a·niʹah the name Shaʹdrach, to Mishʹa·el the name Meʹshach, and to Az·a·riʹah the name A·bedʹne·go.+

You probable know them most commonly as Shaʹdrach, Meʹshach, A·bedʹne·go. Admittedly, I really can't remember them by their Hebrew names. At any rate, these 3 Hebrew boys were prepared in their heart, ahead of time, when a test to their loyalty to Jehovah came up. You know the story: 

3 Neb·u·chad·nezʹzar the king made an image* of gold that was 60 cubits* high and 6 cubits* wide. He set it up on the plain of Duʹra in the province* of Babylon.

 ... “You are commanded, O peoples, nations, and language groups... that... you must fall down and worship the image of gold that King Neb·u·chad·nezʹzar has set up.   Whoever does not fall down and worship will immediately be thrown into the burning fiery furnace.”




Well, what were they going to do? Hebrews, Jehovah's people in captivity in Babylon, far from their place of worship and their homeland. What were they going to do? Well, let me share with you what they did. 

12  But there are certain Jews whom you appointed to administer the province* of Babylon: Shaʹdrach, Meʹshach, and A·bedʹne·go.+ These men have paid no regard to you, O king. They are not serving your gods, and they refuse to worship the image of gold that you have set up.”



So the king is furious, and he has these three men brought before him and asks them if they are really NOT worship the image of gold that he has set up. They are not. So the king says to them:

15  Now ... if you are ready to fall down and worship the image that I have made, fine. But if you refuse to worship, you will immediately be thrown into the burning fiery furnace. And who is the god who can rescue you out of my hands?”+16  Shaʹdrach, Meʹshach, and A·bedʹne·go answered the king: “O Neb·u·chad·nezʹzar, we have no need to answer you in this matter.  17  If it must be, our God whom we serve is able to rescue us from the burning fiery furnace, O king, and to rescue us from your hand.+



But this next part here, what they say next, that is how I feel. I can relate to that. And if I make it to see them in the resurrection, I want to tell them that they were a great encouragement to me.

18  But even if he does not, let it be known to you, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold that you have set up.”+



Even if I die because I did NOT take blood, it's Jehovah's rule and I'm gunna follow it, and you are NOT putting someone's nasty blood in me. 

Not... Not... NOT!
'NO BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS.'



I have prepared my heart now. I recommend you do the same, because I will tell you this, I never dreamed that my health was so bad that I would be faced with the issue of 'NO BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS.' Like I said, one minute I'm cooking dinner, the next minute, 'they' are telling me I need blood or I am gunna die.

Oh, By the Way, did I mention that I survived! In case ya didn't know, I'm still alive!

That does not mean that we do not want medical help. We want the best medical care available to us as it is for the next person. We just want to do it in a way that pleases our creator and life giver, Jehovah, and we want to do it in a way that does not conflict with his laws.

And as always, please feel free to share your comments with me. And share this blog with others.



Below are the pics I posted on my Facebook page, documenting the event. Enjoy.

One week ago today.
Other than the attitude of the ER doctor,
this was the only other bad experience,
they put ketchup on my meatloaf, y'all!!!
I gave the meat to papa, I ate the veggies.

— at Hardin Memorial Health.
I got tired of being in the bed. He was with me most of the time.
At one point, we commandeered a wheelchair so we could escape the room for a while.
The nurse was SURPRISED, because she had looked at my chart,
saw that my hemoglobin was low, saw that I was Jehovah Witness and refused blood,
and thought that I would just lay in bed all night lifeless.

— with Papa at Hardin Memorial Health.








I was cold all the time. I was also quite mobile,
which surprised another nurse because she made the comment
" you must be one tough cookie with your hemoglobin being so low
and yet you are walking yourself to the bathroom."

— at Hardin Memorial Health.

Dinner ... Just 2 days later.
— with Papa at El Tapatio.





He is worn out.
— with Papa at Hardin Memorial Health.
Back for one more test.
This 
gown I'm wearing has plastic chambers w inlet attachments
to hook a vacuum type hose to it for piping in hot air.
Can I get one of these for the KH???

— at Hardin Memorial Health.

No comments: