Translate

Search This Blog

Why do you caller it Scooter2?



Hello once again, my beautiful readers. Welcome back.

Let's have a little fun with this blog. Though it does have a spot of serious concern, it is mostly a fun story to share about the name 'Scooter2.'

Question from a reader. Via a text message, I received the following:

Question: Why do you call it Scooter2?

My response: Funny u should ask, though the name Scooter2 has much meaning, it's a looooooong story, but I love to share it. I will try to figure out how to get it to you.

I will tell you this, she's easy to spot in a parking lot, just ask my daughter, she spots it easy in a parking lot w multiple white vehicles.

Are you ready? Well alrightie then. Grab a cup of Joe, snuggle in with your Furbaby, and read along with me...
This is the only pic
 I could find of it.

Let's go all the way back to 2013. Back in the day we could hardly afford to buy a vehicle. It just so happened that we were approached by someone looking to sell their vehicle and wanted, yes wanted us, to buy it. Well... that ain't happening... no $mon$. However, we were able to make payments, and we became the proud owner of an awesome 'mini van,' yep, I said mini van. Oh guys, such a nice vehicle. Quiet. Clean. Roomy. Heated seats. Individual temp settings for driver and passenger. Excellent gas mileage. It was perfect for our Christian Ministry as well. It did have one flaw, when water would get up underneath the hood, it would throw the belt. "Um... van broke down again... Come get me." Yep, I've made that call a few times. HeeHeeHee

Papa's 3 favorite Girls
Fast forward... In 2014, my son returned from 'vacation.' We gave him a job with the company, Coyote Creek Handyman, and the use of the company vehicle, our 1999 GMC Suburban. We bought that Suburban way back on early arrival to Kentucky. Oh, we though we were something special owning a vehicle with heated leather seats. To much class for these country kids, I tell ya.

A view from the 3 floor window
of my mom's apartment of 2 of
the sharpest looking vehicles
in town. ;-)
Though the actual date escapes my memory, approximately 2 years ago, (2014? 2015?) is when this next part all went down, (I think.) As mentioned above, we had a GMC Suburban that we allowed our son to drive. He had recently came home from 'vacation' and had no transportation of his own yet, and since he worked for our Coyote Creek Handyman Service business, we allowed him to use the company vehicle to get himself back and forth to work. No big deal, aye?


Well, one day, while Papa and I were outta town, I don't even remember where we were at, our son gets a call that his girlfriend has been in an accident. Turns out, our son loaned the company vehicle to his girlfriend to use for personal reasons, and she had 2 of her sons with her. On the last leg of the trip back to their house, on a very small single lane road leading to their house, I think, (or maybe a relatives place,) her older son of the two that was with her asks if he can drive. She lets him. And on that single lane road, he gets the Suburban up to around 50 mph, (way to fast for that small road) looses control, the vehicles leaves the pavement, rolls 2 1/2 times, ejecting 2 of the three passengers from the vehicle. The 3rd person, the one in the back seat, was saved because he was buckled up. The other two received sever, life threatening, injures from being ejected. My son's girlfriend got it the worst as when she was ejected, the Suburban landed on her at one point. The one remaining 'ok' person, crawled out of the wreckage and walked a short ways to the house they were heading to, and got help. Both eject-ies had to be Life-Flighted to Hospital in Louisville, Kentucky.


That was the serious part.

We let our son use our Mini Van so he would have transportation up to Louisville. Two or three days later, we made arrangement with the towing company to retrieve the Suburban, (the sooner the better, cuz they charge a daily storage fee that was building up.) Upon arrival at the towing lot, this is what we found.

My only thought was, 'if they'd have been buckled up, she (the Suburban) would have protected them.' Look how much space, head space, was available for the front seat passengers. Plenty of room to survive the 2 1/2 rolls. GMC know's how to build them. Sadly, the two in the front were not buckled up, and the force of the roll 'spit them out!'

We told our son to take all the time off he needed, that way he could be with her in the hospital. She was, I think, on life support, but not remembering for sure. I do know that she was in a coma.

Life went on for the rest of the world. After a month, we were thinking, 'we can't keep driving the 1 Ton Pick-up Truck 'Big Girl,' to the meetings. Big Girl is OK for work, but she's gotta big butt and takes up a lot of room in a parking lot. So Papa and I made the decision to give our son the mini van and get us a new vehicle. It was high time we did that, and we were now in a position financially to do it.

So we headed up to Louisville to our favorite Dealership, Bachman Chevrolet, to pick out a replacement for the mini van. As a Joke, I said, "let's buy whatever vehicle that is in the same parking spot that 'Big Girl' was in when we bought her." Yep, bought Big Girl from Bachman as well. And wouldn't ya know it, there was an awesome Chevy Traverse parked in that same spot. We test drove it, signed on the bottom line and drove her home that very night.

Wow oh wow, this vehicle had so many bells and whistles. Loved my heated seats. Duel temp controls. Roomy. Quite. Good on gas. And she looked oh.so.fine. Yep, felt like we were moving up in the world. I had to admit, I was loving this vehicle. We bought her used and she still had a manufactures warranty, and much to our surprise, we had to use it almost immediately! No big deal, I'll just drive her up to the dealership and they can fix the 'check engine' problem.

Over the next few months though, we had to keep going back to the dealer because that pesty 'check engine' light kept coming on, which was a pain because when it was on, the 'auto start' feature wouldn't work. We kept, also, getting notifications from On-Star of problems. Up to Louisville I would go. I didn't mind. I loved the drive.

Well, we were getting on winter time, and that is when I really fell in love with this vehicle. You see, it has all-wheel drive, which translates, loosely, when driving through 3 feet high snow drifts, 'Wow, for an all-wheel drive, she really scoots around!' Hence, I named her Scooter.

But Scooter was destined for the Auction Block as she kept having troubles and it became burdensome to see that 'check engine' light come on again, and again, and again... ya think I'm kiddin'? Nope. The last straw came when that pesty light came on again, and now, our warranty is all used up. Nope. I can't do this any more! So I get on the phone with our salesman, Sam, and explain that I can't take it anymore, and I need another vehicle. (Oh yeah, Sam was well aware of the troubles we were having with Scooter.) He wants to know what kind of vehicle I want. Do I want another Chevy Traverse? Sure. I loved my Traverse. Sam said he'd look the lot over and let us know what he has. I received a call back about a newer Traverse, A white one. NOOO! Not white. But papa and I got into Scooter and headed on up to Louisville anyway.

When we arrived at Bachman Chevrolet, Sam was busy, so we thought we'd walk the lot. We were tossing around the idea of a brand spanking new vehicle. Looking... looking... let's see what's in the used lot... looking... looking... hey, this one looks nice, and it's a Traverse! Get the number off the windshield.
Out with the old
in with the newer.

"Hey Sam, we like this one!"
"That's the one I called you about."
"It's not white!"
(It was a Pearl color. Not white, not pink, somewhere in between.)

We took it for a test drive, oh wow, it has even more Bells and Whistles than Scooter. What? It's not all-wheel drive!? I want all-wheel drive!
"Those are hard to come by" says Sam.

Now, I'm not saying I 'settled,' but time was running out on the day, I had had it up to hear with Scooter and her 'check engine' light coming on, so... yep, I settled. We signed on the bottom line, put a bit more money down, and drove her home that night.

Oh, this was nice. WHAT? The 'check engine' light came on! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! Up to Louisville again! However, it proved to be the only time that light came on. I had faith that this vehicle was going to be OK. They can't all be lemons, aye?

What's in your driveway?
In the meantime, I had gotten so used to calling the first vehicle Scooter, that I was just going to have to come up with a name for this new one, but not Scooter. I don't like to recycle names. However, that proved to be more difficult that I imagined cuz 'Scooter' was stuck on my brain. Sooooooo, she became Scooter2. That's not really a recycle, is it?

We have a friend who owns a business called AutoTrim DesignSigns. I asked them if they would please make me a front personalized plate for Scooter2. I tried having it done at an air painting place at the mall, but the dude made the 't' in Scooter2 look like a cross, which I hadn't noticed when I purchased the plate and took it home and Papa hated it and I took it back and the dude would fix it for an extra $5 so into the trash that plate went.


Now... I get a lot of comments on Scooter2 because I guess the name is catchy. My daughter can spot her in the parking lot very easily. My Crackerpracker calls me Scooter when I go to get my adjustment, and even a biker in Virginia, sitting on the sidewalk in front of his bike, taking a rest, spotted the 2 at the end of the name Scooter on the plate and asked if that was 'Scooter Squared? or our second Scooter?' The latter... and thanks for noticing the 2.

And now you know the rest of the story. (Yep, 'stoled' that from Steve Harvey.)
















No comments: