Translate

Search This Blog

How Jehovah Got My Attention: Part 2, Years 1989 and 1996

Welcome back, my beautiful readers. I am glad you are here. Should we proceed with how Jehovah Got My Attention? Read on...

Now, jump ahead to 1989. Paul and I are still living in Wyoming and now had a son and his sister four years his senior, and we were tossing around the idea of starting another study with the Witnesses. Of course, I only agree to the study if I could use my own Bible, the KJV, as I can remember my Dad saying "that the Witnesses wrote their own Bible." We were living about 40 miles from Lander near the Sweetwater station at a campground called River Campground. There was a couple about our age, at least I think they were, that would drive all the way out there to study with us. A forty mile trip, one way. Again, I was not in it to learn, but to prove them wrong. 

Not a Bible teaching that I learned in 1989
During one of our studies, they showed me a scripture in my own Bible, the KJV, that when my Dad died, he did not go to Heaven, although I can not remember which one. I was stunned. It was then that the realization that my dad was wrong hit me and I cried right then. I couldn't argue with the Bible, but I sure did not like what it had to say, so I did not want to study anymore. I broke contact with that couple that studied with us. Belief in my Dad and belief in the Bible were conflicting.

When our family moved to Kentucky in 1996, Paul once again suggested that we start up another study. By now I am getting tired of this, because every time we started up a study, we would start out of the same book, and I was getting tired of it, but I agreed to it none the less, but I was getting tired of it. We made contact with Elizabethtown (E-town) Kentucky congregation. 

What I remember most was the friendliness of the people compared to what I was used to from the folks at the churches that I use to go to when I was young and lived in Wyoming. The other thing I remembered was that they did not pass the collection plate. When I questioned Paul as to why they did not pass it, he informed me that they don't do that. 'So how do they get their money?' I had asked. His response: 'Oh there's a box around here somewhere where you can drop your money in, but it's hidden and hard to find.'
Shortly after attending some of the meetings, arrangements were made for a couple about our age to study with us. Because we lived about 20 miles out of town and our driveway wasn't that good, no one could be found that could come out to our home and study with us. It was suggested that Paul and I drive into town for our studies. We met at the Kingdom Hall. I don't remember how long we studied with them, but shortly afterwards, the couple had moved, and no one else made arrangements to continue our study, so Paul and I just quit studying. I don't think our hearts were truly in it. 

I want to stop my story here, because my next jump will be to 2005, and that's when it really starts to get interesting, and more active and intense... plus it's 1:12 am and I really need to get to bed. Night all. 

Like this blog, please share.

No comments: